Sunday, July 20, 2008

Semi-Backpacking

Last weekend, the call was made to change backpacking routes from the smokey, fire-encircled Trinities to the clear-ish coastal Redwood National Park.

I took the opportunity of a short, close-to-home hike to try my hand at ultralight packing. No tent, only the tarp/fly. No toiletry bag, just exactly the few items I'd need. No nothin' other than survival gear (except for the camera, it's case, and a therma-rest sling.) 24 lbs. is the lightest I've ever gone (I'm big, shut up), so that is getting filed under "success." It felt like cheating.

S, K, and N went in early, and I hiked in Saturday morn. I brought a surfboard up and checked the usual spots on the way up to the trailhead. No luck.

Getting my permit at the ranger station, the woman said "You're hiking in from where? You leaving your car there overnight? Bad idea, buddy. It's close to town, and break-ins are pretty common."
"How common?"
"Common. We tell everyone not to park there."

Well, that sucks to hear if you have an impossible-to-conceal surfboard in your car. So it goes. Hike in. Beautiful. Townes Van Zandt sings sad songs until the posted warnings tell me to stay alert because of that one cougar. Silent hiking is also great.

When I found the riverbar campsite, K said that Ian once had his truck robbed at that same parking lot. That sucks to hear, as well. Hmmm. Setting up my ultralight-mode tent proved challenging, in that riverbed rocks don't take tent stakes well. Success attained.

We hone our leisure skills. Swim in the creek, sit in the sun, throw rocks at various targets until our arms are weak. Jokes, laughter, lunch, chill, jokes. Evening approaches. Cook dinner on my bitchin' new ultralight stove (love it!).

After dinner, the love of my carbound surfboard surges forth. I tell S, K, and N. "This sounds crazy, but I think I'm going to hike out. "
S says, "Yes, that is pretty crazy."
"Yeah, but if anyone cruises that lot, my board is the first thing they'll see. And my insurance, well, who knows."

Satisfied with the day, I pack up and hike out. Next time, leave the board home.

No comments: