Sunday, March 18, 2007

On a lighter note

Charlie, Sara, Sasha and me decided on a picnic at Sequoia Park. Big trees, sandwiches from Hole in the Wall, sunshine and nature.


We pulled up, popped out the stroller, and followed the path into the trees. From the valley below, where the duckpond is, heavy-metal music wafted up from the trees. Hmm.

We walk over to the picnic tables and mack on the sandwiches. A guy in homemade body armor walks by. Then another. They've got home-made soft-boffer weapons: scimitars, battle axes, clubs, bludgeons. All the sharp parts are padded and duct-taped. Then there's a whole crew of them. "I don't know, who's going to be forward guard?" says one.

So far, not an idyllic picnic.

I ask shirtless kid with a boffer weapon how one team wins. "After everyone else has been knocked down."

I found this at foamcombat.com:

"I are sorry but due to issues with a national foam fighting organization which resulted in my children being banned and not being allowed to attend events in a game/sport they love very much I see no other choice but to bring down FoamCombat.com at this time until these issues can be resolved. It is sad that a group of people that run a game for kids would hold children responsible for the actions of there father, in no way have I tried to do anything other then promote the sport/game of foam fighting and to help it grow, but at this time I see no other option but to take down the site for the best interest of my children I hope everyone can understand this.

Yours Truly, Lord Talon"

Ok, so I guess that says enough. The speed metal is still emanating from the valley below. Sasha in the stroller, we follow the sound. It gets louder. It's a live band.

At the old hearth site by the duck pond, a handful of hesher/stoner kids were headbanging self-consciously to the band. They reminded me of Jay (as in Silent Bob) from Clerks. Skinny, black beanies, baggy shorts, sharing cigarettes. The band was called Cycle of Violence, and they actually looked really friendly. The music, however out of place, was pretty good.

No comments: